Recently I was challenged to read the Bible in its entirety before the end of the year. That left me with 139 days. I decided to read it Chronologically (or rather historically by date). Periodically as I’m reading I will bookmark some verses that I think are worth sharing.

MORE VERSES
Dt 30:19 - Classic verse. Don’t you wish life were this black and white all the time? I mean choosing life is an obvious choice but it’s never that plain and simple. Choosing life often results in a lot of trials and discipline.

Dt 31:16 - Upon my death bed, I want to hear about how effective my life has been on others. I’d prefer not to hear about how my influence will fade quickly after I’m buried. Sorry Moses.

Dt 32:47 - Great verse I had to memorize for my Old Testament class.

Dt 32:51-52 - Consequences for action is biblical. It hurts, it’s difficult, and it still falls under the banner of God’s grace!

Dt 34:5 - Many have argued that Moses could not have written all of the book because how can you write about your own death? This last chapter of Deuteronomy was added much later.

Dt 34:7 - Moses did not die a ripe old man, fragile and lame. He still had energy. Moses died as punishment based on the Israelites and in accordance to the age of man’s years set forth by God after The Fall (Gen. 6:3).

Dt 34:10 - Another proof that Moses did not write this last chapter. How would the most humble man in the world have written about himself this way. It would have been enough to disprove his humility.

Josh 1:2 - This would have been quite the introduction for Joshua. “Hey, guess what... Moses is dead and YOU are my next chosen vessel.” Wow.

Josh 21:45 - God always keeps his promises. When will I learn this? When will I believe this? When will I walk in this sort of way?

Josh 22:20 - The wrath of God fell upon an entire congregation because of one man?

Josh 23:14 - Another reminder that God keeps his promises.

Josh 24:14-15 - “Choose This Day...” Joshua is attacking the main problem of the people. They had been, were presently, and would continue to serve foreign gods. This would lead to many struggles and problems. Today we like to think “Choose this day...” mean choose to go to church. However the problem is the same. We serve other gods still. Why do we expect our outcome to be any different than the Israelites? Jesus doesn’t simply beat up idols in our life, He destroys them and removes them. This is painful.

Josh 24:27 - Having a stone set up as a witness against you seems harmless enough until there is no one left to worship God and the rocks begin to cry out.

Josh 24:31 - This verse seems very positive. If you quit reading here it would remain that way. However take this in context of Judges 2:10.

Judges 1:6 - Thumbs and Big Toes? Why is this important? See Leviticus 8:24.

Judges 2:10 - After Joshua, the faith of Israel died. Why? Surely that had passed down the stories of their grandfathers? The problem was in their stories, God was merely one of the characters and not the author.

Judges 2:15 - How would it feel to have the hand of the Lord constantly against you?

Judges 17:6 - A very repeated theme in Judges (and if were honest most of our lives today).

1 Sam 1:11 - This was a moving prayer for Shelly and I when we were struggling with having our first child. What does it actually mean (for us) to give our child (children) to the Lord all the days of their lives?

1 Sam 2:12 - One of the reasons we named our son Levi instead of Eli.

1 Sam 2:25 - This shows the need for a mediator or an intercessor (1 Tim 2:5-6).

1 Sam 3:11 - I want to hear stuff like this on a regular basis.

1 Sam 7:3 - Samuel is just continuing what Joshua challenged the people with... putting away foreign Gods.

1 Sam 9:9 - I love it when the Bible writes its own commentary on itself.

1 Chron 10:13-14 - Not having faith in God AND seeing a physic is a bad thing in the Old Testament. Probably isn’t much better these days.

Ps 102:18 - That’s Visionary Parenting right there!

Ps 102:20 - Amen! and Amen!

Ps 75:10 - I remember people wearing Texas A&M shirts which depicted the Longhorns “sawed-off” and this verse was on the back. I can think of worse ways to misinterpret scripture.

2 Sam 11:1 - We’ve heard this before but it’s worth mentioning again. David should have been fighting! Not lounging around his casa.

2 Sam 12:14 - How many times have I utterly scorned the Lord? Thank you God for forgiveness and grace.

2 Sam 12:28 - David’s commander Joab did all the dirty work and King David got to get the glory. That’s a good leader to have under you.

0 comments:

Subscribe