Recently I was challenged to read the Bible in its entirety before the end of the year. That left me with 139 days. I decided to read it Chronologically (or rather historically by date). Each week as I’m reading I will bookmark some verses that I think are worth sharing.

WEEK 3-4
Ex 23:3 - We should love the poor but not to the extent that we forsake justice.

Ex 29:20 - This is just a little too much for me. I can just see God waiting for Moses to say, “Ok, God? Really? Isn’t that a little too much?”

Ex 32:14 - God relents (as in changes His mind). Don’t let this freak you out. It doesn’t prove God is not all-knowing. Get used to it. It’s not the first time (remember Sodom & Gomorrah)

Ex 32:19 - I can really relate to this act of Moses. I mean I’ve gotten mad too sometimes and whatever was in my hands came a flying out.

Ex 32:27 - Aren’t you glad God does not demand we do stuff like this today? Or does He? I’ve got a sword...

Ex 33:11 - Moses spoke to God face to face (this is probably idiomatic because he never actually saw His face because it would have been too much for him).

Ex 34:15-16 - I think the message is clear... Don’t whore after other gods.

Lev 4:3 - The sin of the priest was enough to bring guilt upon the entire group of people. I’m inclined to believe this continues today to some extent.

Lev 13:40 - It’s ok everybody... hair loss is not a sin.

Lev 14:2 - Luke 17:11-19 is brought into context by understanding this passage. Lepers were required to show themselves to the priest.

Lev 19:30 - Sabbath?? What’s that? Do we do that anymore? [insert sarcasm]

Lev 20:5 - A friend of mine once said that in the Old Testament parents sacrificed their children to Molech because they thought it was the best thing to do. Today, parents just allow their kids to go to Spring Break beach parties.

Lev 23:11-12 - It’s called a wave offering. Interesting.

Num 6:24-26 - Such a great prayer to pray over your kids or just about anyone.

Num 14:24 - How I long to be considered by God a man with a “different spirit.”

Num 16:22 - Once again we see how God could possibly punish an entire congregation based on one man’s sin. Lookout people.

Dt 4:7 - God’s evidence of His chosen people. Reminiscent of 1 John 4:4.

Dt 7:7 - Love this verse. God proves to Israel that it was not because of anything they had to offer, the reason He chose them. He chose them because He wanted to choose them.

Dt 8:4 - Sometimes God’s blessings are not financial. Many times they are simple gifts like durable clothing and trouble-free appliances.

Dt 9:5-6 - God proves again that they were a stubborn and stick-necked people. They brought nothing to the table. He would allow them to conquer all because His name was at stake, not theirs.

Dt 11:19 - Are these strategic times or hyperbole for ‘always?’ Either way the call is the same. (See also 6:4-9)

Dt 12:3 - We get all in a foul mood if some Christian group tries to boycott somebody. Imagine God calling the Southern Baptists to something like this today? How would that go over?

0 comments:

Subscribe